Now playing: The 2011 Season

Postby joethejet » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:34 am

[quote:5e9277209a="socalchiro"]And Joe, this justifies the price increase?[/quote:5e9277209a]

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to.

Jet
www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet
joethejet

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:34 am

While I agree completely with dan and jerlins. I think the point of using the unleashed set for keeper leagues is so you guys can make exclusions yourselves and not have to rely on the exclusions made by tsn for their standard one time leagues. To switch over obviously would take some fore thought and planning. You would not have to use EVERYONE but by being offered everyone, you can make exclusions to suit the spirit of the individual leagues. And yes there will still be griping, but atleast it will be "localized".
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby mbertolli » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 am

I think you guys are missing the point a bit. I don't see anyone arguing for the inclusion of Montero or Eveland. These guys obviously did not play enough and anyone who plays this game should be able to predict that these guys will not get cards in the full set.

The gripes here are with, as far as I can tell, two players. A Catcher with 155 pa's and an outfielder with over 170 pa's. These guys played about a third of a season for their teams. They should be in the full set.

I'll say it again, we should have something laid out so we can make decisions.
mbertolli

Postby visick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:33 am

re. Ryan @ SS...

[quote:48ce8e7d90]Not even close to the same card. Better OB both ways, far fewer DP's and an AB bunt hit and run make him a useful offensive player. Last year he was useless[/quote:48ce8e7d90]

I'd really like to see this. I'd like to be proven wrong. He's going to be just like last season. Hit .220 and give you great D.
visick

Postby tcochran » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 am

On leashed vs. unleashed...

I started an unleashed keeper last year. Because it's a pre-card draft league, we never see the cards before the annual draft, so it seemed to make sense.

Managers still look to the future a lot, though, since we made anybody with one AB or one IP eligible for the draft. We have a lot of young ballplayers on the 40-man rosters.

Sometimes we get lucky and a fluke card shows up -- I have AJ Ellis and Bryan LaHair, for example -- but often we just see that fluke season as a precursor for someone who has potential, and make a bet on the future.

It's a game, so you adjust to the local rules, as needed...
tcochran

Postby zonachoke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:51 am

If I have any gripe at all about a fluke card not making into the set, it's for Henry Blanco. Yes, he only had 100 AB... but he's not some mid-season call-up. For crying out loud, he's a 40-year-old veteran who was on the Diamondbacks' roster for the entire 2011 season.
zonachoke

2001-2006 seasons

Postby tcochran » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Bernie, now that you've got the 2011 season started on time -- congratulations, by the way -- what can you tell us about the earlier seasons?

For example, we have a retro keeper that started playing the 2002 season just before the deadline. Will there be a big gap in time, before we can play the 2003 one?

Also, when the older leagues do surface again, will the salaries be updated? It seems that SOM has a much more realistic set of salaries today than it did in the earlier years. Will the old ones be fixed?

And finally, is there any chance that other full seasons will come online? The offline versions of other seasons already exist; will they gradually be brought online, too?
tcochran

Jose Morales

Postby ClowntimeIsOver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:03 pm

In a NOT "unleashed" league, I've got Jose Morales (0.60m, 60 AB + 9 BBs) on my first 2011 team. Gotta love a switch-hitting back-up catcher with a .352 OBP and a 6-injury rating (your back-up catcher should ALWAYS have a high injury rating, and you should hope he gets plenty of 15-game injuries to protect your starting catcher -- pinch-hit him, put him in as a late-inning substitute, do anything to get the guy injured as often as possible).

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=378195
ClowntimeIsOver

Postby joethejet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 pm

[quote:1a550d63fd="socalchiro"]re. Ryan @ SS...

[quote:1a550d63fd]Not even close to the same card. Better OB both ways, far fewer DP's and an AB bunt hit and run make him a useful offensive player. Last year he was useless[/quote:1a550d63fd]

I'd really like to see this. I'd like to be proven wrong. He's going to be just like last season. Hit .220 and give you great D.[/quote:1a550d63fd]

Perhaps, but his OB should be a lot better, and his ave and power should be a bit better. The average park he's got a .380 OB v LHP and .315 v RHP. His OBs last season were .197/228. Hits/108 this year are 207/221 last season 160/163.

HUGE upgrade in OB and a pretty good jump in average too. He's also slightly better in the field (e20 v e22)

As I said, he may be slightly high this year and slightly low last year, but my ratings (whatever that's worth) don't show a huge mistake being made by any means.

Jet
www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet
joethejet

Postby bernieh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 am

Hey guys,

Here's the situation as I see it.

You have access to the full official set of cards in the "Unleashed" version of the set.

But you (those of you in keeper leagues that are displeased) don't want to use it because...

[quote:45a4054aae="Ninersphan"]I suspect, at least speaking for the leagues I'm in, it's because they were up and running before this option existed and changing after the fact would have implicaption on future seasons, when trades involving future draft picks may have already been made without the knowledge of these players being available.[/quote:45a4054aae]
... you assumed extreme flukes like Parmelee wouldn't be included, and you were hoping that guys like De Aza would clear the line, right? Well, you determined the rules of your keeper league; you have the power to exclude Parmelee. Agree not to use him, and agree to use the borderline cases like De Aza and Blanco whom you do want to use. You have the power to make that call.

But the fact that you don't want to use this power implies that you want [i:45a4054aae]me[/i:45a4054aae] to make the call. You want to use what we've determined to be the official Standard set. You're just unhappy with a few calls that I made, and you want me to change them. Hey, guess what? That means: you want to make the call.

So go ahead!

Putting it another way:

I give you A) Full Set, and B) Full Set minus Parmelee/Pill minus De Aza/Blanco.

You're saying, "Set B is b.s.! We want to use C) Full Set minus Parmelee/Pill".

So go ahead!

Look, if it's a matter of logistics; i.e. you don't want trust your league-mates to not pick up Parmelee from the free agent pool, I can work with you on this, if you're clear on what you want. I can convert your league from Standard to Unleashed (after the draft, if necessary), and remove Parmelee and whatever unwanted players from the free agent pool, leaving you with your precious De Ajas and Blancos. I honestly don't see what more you could want.
bernieh

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx