Now playing: The 2011 Season

Postby keyzick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 am

Well said Bernie!
keyzick

Postby Ninersphan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 am

That's VERY accomidating of you bernie, bravo.
I'm not sure what my league will elect to do. Part of it, is the same problem you face. If I as commsioner say DeAza is in, but several in my league are against it, I could have a revolt on my hands and wind up loosing a manager (in an extreme case) which is why I don't want the decision in my hands.
The other option would be to have a vote on a case by case basis
(which is what I'd do anyway, I don't run my leagues as a dictator) for all of the fluke cards but that would be a bit unwieldy as well.

Regardless, I applaud your thoughtfullness and your willingness to go above and beyond to edit the free agents ex post facto. I think some cases like Perez and Blanco may get into some league this way, so again bravo.
Ninersphan

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

What Ninersphan said. :)
ArrylT

Postby bernieh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 pm

[quote:61bba94dbb="Ninersphan"]If I as commsioner say DeAza is in, but several in my league are against it, I could have a revolt on my hands and wind up loosing a manager (in an extreme case) which is why I don't want the decision in my hands.[/quote:61bba94dbb]
I definitely did consider this, and I do acknowledge that it's a legitimate concern. There is indeed a comfort in deferring to our official decisions comprising the Standard set. And I do see how that if league-local votes were held now, any disagreements may be influenced by who stands to benefit from each inclusion/exclusion. I get it and I'm sorry about that.

For what it's worth, I'll be more sensitive to the needs of those of you in keeper leagues in the future, and will try to accommodate you better. It won't be completely straightforward, since I'm assuming some of you have your drafts over the winter, before we see the cards, so I couldn't possibly be able to make any decisions on the borderline cases that early. But I'll try to figure out how to handle it better.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and discussion.
bernieh

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

well done.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Re: 2001-2006 seasons

Postby tcochran » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

[quote:3f39dfb961="tcochran"]Bernie, now that you've got the 2011 season started on time -- congratulations, by the way -- what can you tell us about the earlier seasons?

For example, we have a retro keeper that started playing the 2002 season just before the deadline. Will there be a big gap in time, before we can play the 2003 one?

Also, when the older leagues do surface again, will the salaries be updated? It seems that SOM has a much more realistic set of salaries today than it did in the earlier years. Will the old ones be fixed?

And finally, is there any chance that other full seasons will come online? The offline versions of other seasons already exist; will they gradually be brought online, too?[/quote:3f39dfb961]

Hey Bernie, since we have your attention, any comments on the older card sets?
tcochran

Postby coyote303 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40 am

I have followed this thread with near disbelief.

Leagues have three choices:

1. normal set
2. normal set + flukes
3 normal set + selected flukes approved by league consensus or decree

The league can set their own hard and fast guidelines for flukes, such as minimum PA or IP to avoid arguments.

But a few say every player card should be included period. Okay, so take option 2. Of course, many/most people don't agree, so what these few people are saying is make their preference (to include all) required for everyone.

Others say Bernie has to make the call. Well, he did make the call; it's option 1. If you don't like his call, then take option 3 and set hard rules which flukes should be included.

There have been arguments made that would have been totally convincing [b:fc94bb7d6c]if there were only options 1 and 2.[/b:fc94bb7d6c] However, option 3 gives leagues the ability to do exactly what they want.
coyote303

Postby bernieh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm

[quote:9d0ae9c773="tcochran"]Bernie, now that you've got the 2011 season started on time -- congratulations, by the way -- what can you tell us about the earlier seasons?[/quote:9d0ae9c773]
I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you yet. My one and only focus is the huge task of getting the new site built. But I promise that I'll fill you in on our other goals as soon as I can wrap my head around them.

[quote:9d0ae9c773="tcochran"]Also, when the older leagues do surface again, will the salaries be updated? It seems that SOM has a much more realistic set of salaries today than it did in the earlier years. Will the old ones be fixed?[/quote:9d0ae9c773]
This I can pretty much say yes to.

[quote:9d0ae9c773="tcochran"]And finally, is there any chance that other full seasons will come online? The offline versions of other seasons already exist; will they gradually be brought online, too?[/quote:9d0ae9c773]
I imagine so, but we haven't specifically planned it out yet. Again, we have much bigger immediate priorities.
bernieh

Postby tcochran » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 pm

[quote:6431c91a28="bernieh"][quote:6431c91a28="tcochran"]Bernie, now that you've got the 2011 season started on time -- congratulations, by the way -- what can you tell us about the earlier seasons?[/quote:6431c91a28]
I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you yet. My one and only focus is the huge task of getting the new site built. But I promise that I'll fill you in on our other goals as soon as I can wrap my head around them.

[quote:6431c91a28="tcochran"]Also, when the older leagues do surface again, will the salaries be updated? It seems that SOM has a much more realistic set of salaries today than it did in the earlier years. Will the old ones be fixed?[/quote:6431c91a28]
This I can pretty much say yes to.

[quote:6431c91a28="tcochran"]And finally, is there any chance that other full seasons will come online? The offline versions of other seasons already exist; will they gradually be brought online, too?[/quote:6431c91a28]
I imagine so, but we haven't specifically planned it out yet. Again, we have much bigger immediate priorities.[/quote:6431c91a28]

Thanks for the update, Bernie. We look forward to hearing more about your plans, as they come closer to fruition.
tcochran

Postby emm9230 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 am

bump
emm9230

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx