wtf Hal..... i swear i am just getting turned off to strat

U GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT

Postby phillyhemp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:26 am

It's not about winning or losing, per se. Although I too believe that HAL loves the wild card teams. It is about THE WAY WE LOST. I think it is inexcusable for HAL to ignore managerial settings, especially regarding relief pitchers. I can send you my box score if u want it. It was beyond ridiculous. Once is a coincidence, but after 30 playoff teams and only 3 champs, you start to wonder if maybe there is something more going on.

Ultimately, I was more upset about the way I was treated then the fact that a computer game appeared rigged not to allow me some free credits. I deserved any explanation. It was that bad. Like I said, I haven't played since. Used to spend over $1000 a year on teams. That's terrible customer service. Any explanation would have been fine, even if it was faulty HAL logic. But, I got nothing. Made me wonder even more. AND THAT MEANT THE END.[/b]
phillyhemp

Re: U GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT

Postby keyzick » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:04 am

[quote:97c990578d="Phillyhemp"]Once is a coincidence, but after 30 playoff teams and only 3 champs, you start to wonder if maybe there is something more going on.

Ultimately, I was more upset about the way I was treated then the fact that a computer game appeared rigged not to allow me some free credits. I deserved any explanation. It was that bad. Like I said, I haven't played since. Used to spend over $1000 a year on teams. That's terrible customer service. Any explanation would have been fine, even if it was faulty HAL logic. But, I got nothing. Made me wonder even more. AND THAT MEANT THE END.[/b][/quote:97c990578d]

So someone at Strat or TSN (or both!) has an actual vendetta against you personally?? Wow! :shock:
keyzick

Re: U GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT

Postby tcochran » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 am

[quote:3516e38d8f="Phillyhemp"]It's not about winning or losing, per se. Although I too believe that HAL loves the wild card teams. It is about THE WAY WE LOST. I think it is inexcusable for HAL to ignore managerial settings, especially regarding relief pitchers. I can send you my box score if u want it. It was beyond ridiculous. Once is a coincidence, but after 30 playoff teams and only 3 champs, you start to wonder if maybe there is something more going on.

Ultimately, I was more upset about the way I was treated then the fact that a computer game appeared rigged not to allow me some free credits. I deserved any explanation. It was that bad. Like I said, I haven't played since. Used to spend over $1000 a year on teams. That's terrible customer service. Any explanation would have been fine, even if it was faulty HAL logic. But, I got nothing. Made me wonder even more. AND THAT MEANT THE END.[/b][/quote:3516e38d8f]

Out of curiosity, why jump into a 5-month old chat thread about a game you no longer play?
tcochran

haha yeah i posted this thread

Postby kram1979 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

obviously under a dif account

but yeah hasnt gotton much better for me. the wild card team thing just puzzles me because i too only seem to win if i have a mid 80's win wild card team

yet have built some monsters, 110 win plus and some 20-30 game win dif between my first round opponent, and its so predictable, i lose everytime!
kram1979

Postby toronto50 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 pm

2001 Seattle Mariners- 116 wins....in the regular season.

Lots of wins in the regular season can often be attributed to depth. In a short series the tables can balance a little because of matchups. Sometimes an 85 win team is in a real strong division and a 110 win team is in a weak division...especially impactful with start and end of season strat schedule.

ps..this is a game, with probabilities not certainties...thats why we play isnt it?
toronto50

Postby coyote303 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 pm

HAL is not the brightest AI in the world. However, in some cases, he truly cannot win.

The OP complained about his star pitcher going 11 innings. I'll bet you if his starter had instead been pulled after 9 and the reliever gave up a homer in the top of the tenth, the post would have ranted about his star pitcher being pulled when he had two good innings left.

And if you want to complain about the 1-2 inning max being ignored in a 9-inning game, I'll sympathize. But in a long extra-inning game? Looks to me HAL was being smart.
coyote303

back for another edition of WTF

Postby maarkmosser » Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=376884

99 team, randy johnson almost won mvp and cy, yet 1-3, 8 era, 2 whip in playoffs. I go up 3-1 in finals, waiting for bs game 7 tonight.

game 6, was up 6-3 bottom of the ninth, lost 9-6, gave up 6 runs without even recording an out

not syaing this is a great team, but come on, when you build teams around an ace pitcher, you expect him to be an ace.......
maarkmosser

Re: back for another edition of WTF

Postby coyote303 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:15 pm

[quote:45f2fb51c2="maarkmosser"]..., when you build teams around an ace pitcher, you expect him to be an ace.......[/quote:45f2fb51c2]

My ace, Brandon McCarthy, threw a no-hitter this past season. Of course, he also went 5-19 despite having a not-that-terrible ERA of 4.23.

Same team had Jordan Zimmerman go 16-8 with a 2.93 ERA. So, it [i:45f2fb51c2]usually [/i:45f2fb51c2]averages out.
coyote303

Re: back for another edition of WTF

Postby MrHacktastic » Wed May 09, 2012 6:28 pm

[quote:b5528acf74="maarkmosser"]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=376884

99 team, randy johnson almost won mvp and cy, yet 1-3, 8 era, 2 whip in playoffs. I go up 3-1 in finals, waiting for bs game 7 tonight.

game 6, was up 6-3 bottom of the ninth, lost 9-6, gave up 6 runs without even recording an out

not syaing this is a great team, but come on, when you build teams around an ace pitcher, you expect him to be an ace.......[/quote:b5528acf74]

It's just crazy seeing Cal Ripken with a 4 injury rating.
MrHacktastic

Postby kylerose256 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 am

Just like real life...sometimes its about matchups and luck. If you don't like it, then don't play. We ALL have games that we feel like HAL hosed for us, but I'll tell you this: There isn't another sim out there as good as SOM. Period.
kylerose256

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx