Our new growth initiatives

Postby drfreeze49 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Bernie you [b:5687ec2ba3]do a great job.[/b:5687ec2ba3]..but I still think that those who are always here need a[b:5687ec2ba3] bone once in a while too[/b:5687ec2ba3]...every body has a sale that covers[b:5687ec2ba3] old and new customers[/b:5687ec2ba3]...and I for one would have loved a [b:5687ec2ba3]Fathers day special[/b:5687ec2ba3]
drfreeze49

Postby Valen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:06 pm

PotKettleBlack stated my thinking very well and imo posed a much better analogy than Jerlins did as pertains to the online strato industry.

This environment being a pure service environment rather than a manufactured environment compares closer to a cable tv or cell phone model than a department store. Yes, a department store is better off giving a discount to everyone equally. But from a business perspective it does not make sense for a cell phone company or cable company to do so. Yes, they would keep most existing customers but would fail to hold ground against those who are actively in pursuit of new customers with discounts and other incentives.

I know it is easy to only look at a situation as it relates directly to me. And if I receive no direct financial benefit from something it is worthless. I could lecture on selfishness but will refrain. But have to point out in the long run this has potential to benefit us all.

If the customer base can be expanded that means additional revenue. Unless that revenue increases there will never be staff added to help Bernie out. That is the nature of business, ANY business. But if it does increase then TSN will be more inclined to invest in additional resources such as possibly help for Bernie or moving up the schedule for moving some of these neglected games to new servers. This announcement is a good step in my opinion.
Valen

Postby nevdully's » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Father..."Son look at this present I brought home for you" (excitedly, but barley noticing his other children in the room)

"That's great for him Dad but what about us" (understandable response)

"Well....Well ya see kids...I'll probably have something for most of you in the future.".."But understand this really does benefit you other kids too"

"Big-bad-dad say what? (Hannah Montana)

"Sure children, you see if I give your brother a present now he'll be happy and less likely to put his pet frog in your hair... that makes Mommy and me so happy too...and then maybe sometime this summer (or next) we'll all go out, or most of us (some will have left the house already, some always seem to get forgotten about) for ice cream."

:mrgreen:

Know your customer. Know your community. Timing. Wording...Some long time customers have been concerned with price for awhile now...Right or wrong, or whether or not something can even be done about this is secondary, but TSN/Bernie "should" at least be aware of this right? If you are not commenting on the thread for a Fathers Day Sale for existing loyal customers (a bone once in awhile, to quote Vinnie) while announcing big discount prices for new customers, it's to be expected some customers (no not just selfish ones) would see that as a slap in the face...Subtleties of customer service and selling yourself and the product shouldn't be the programmers job, and if it is we shouldn't be surprised if it's not done perfectly.
nevdully's

Postby kab105 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Adding new customers to the community is obviously a great idea. However, it is critical that once you get new customers, you take steps to keep them. This will not happen unless TSN provides a link that is easy to find and it will arm the newbie with at least some of the basic information on how to play the game. Things like no 4 in CF OR SS, select a suitable home park, how much to spend on hitting / pitching, bullpen v2, don't drop players and take a cap hit ...etc...etc...etc... Without at least some of this information the newbie WILL GET KILLED and when he gets killed he will most likely not play again. Yes, some of this info is on the message boards, but a new player will attempt to build a team before he ever sees it.

I am just saying...
kab105

Postby bernieh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:52 pm

[quote:8b34fad251="Jerlins"]Perhaps I deserved it after my sarcastic "customer/me" scenario, but 2 "official" responses and now we can couple sinister with selfish and scam artist to my personal description.[/quote:8b34fad251]
Yeah, I just wanted to clarify that 1) as LMBombers already said, he's not "official" and in no way represents SN, and 2) my use of the word "sinister" was definitely not meant to characterize you, Jerlins, but rather how your scenario was characterizing the situation. You can see why it takes me so long to write posts; I spend a huge amount of time crafting every word of everything I write, and still I get misinterpreted...
bernieh

Postby Roosky » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:44 pm

I think the referrals are a definite benefit to vets also and the lower price for new users is long overdue. It is not really that hard to figure out guys, if you are begging for more attention from SN in regards to strat there is a simple solution. Draw more customers and make more money! The more SN sees profits from strat the more attention and manpower they will put on it. As someone that has played from day one, I want the attention on growing the customer base because I know that will result in the best game possible. It is so obvious to me it is mind boggling to me that some can not see it.
Roosky

Didn't Know We Had To Choose

Postby nevdully's » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Since when is it one solution or the other... or worse yet, the only solution...No one said it was a bad idea did they? It's a step...and under best case scenario not an overnight solution...Word of mouth plays a pretty big role here too, but what if the word of mouth is "nah I left that place because I asked the same question over and over and it never got answered"....Hard for me to believe some people can't see this.
nevdully's

Postby nevdully's » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:05 pm

read what kab105 wrote....I've been asking for this for years!!! A better and easier description of the rules that we actually pay our money to play under...And it's actually gotten much better...BUT it took Years..and complaints..and complaints....and complaints ..and it's still not where or what it should be....Everything good that comes from this is a direct result of the customer base that really cares, asking and asking and asking...Keep in mind this is directly from a swell of customer dissatisfaction that even set these efforts in motion...unfortunately that what it usually takes...So let me ask all of you that feel more customers will lead TSN to get some employees for Bernie, or any benefit for that matter...How many more customers will it take, how long will it take to get them and how soon will TSN respond to this increase in business...I'm glad roosky has been here for 6+ years because that's how long it'll take for this to reap some real benefit for this community.
nevdully's

Postby gorshar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 pm

What's needed as a newbie player's guide, written by the community and then posted as a sticky.

New customers, old customers: The discount for new players doesn't fuss me. What fusses me is that it comes alongside a continuing lack of attention to the existing customers. At the very least the 5-pack discount, but far more importantly are the game enhancements people have been shouting about for an eternity.

I agree that different pricing models/promotion models, etc will apply to different industries. I'm in hospitality in a MAJOR international tourist/UNESCO World Heritage area where repeat business is few and far between but word-of-mouth essential. Nearly all our business is new business, but it builds from old business.

But regardless of what your business model, marketing strategy, etc is, one truism that applies across the board is TO LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS.

And the feeling is here is that we are not being heard, and while pricing is an issue with me, this too, is part of what's keeping me off the actives.

And somewhere the point was made and it's worth repeating, that if the IT guy here has been pushed into the customer service role, then that in itself reveals a flaw in the TSN model. But that's for them to deal with.
gorshar

Postby chasenally » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 pm

I just pay and play the dang game. The outages don't bother me and the lower price to bring in new customers is fine by me. The Cable anology works just fine for me to understand it.

I was going to buy a 5 pack if there was a Fathers Day Special but I won't if there is not one. I would have saved the credits for the next set of cards as I only spend $100 to $200 dollars every year.

There are definitly some problems with this product but I pretty much stay in the theme leagues and have a great time with them.

Mike
chasenally

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx