The Secret Formula 2010

Postby J-Pav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:45 pm

[b:064f38587e]Dave[/b:064f38587e]:

Interesting Seuss team!!

He scored 750 runs in Fenway with homers and a .200/.300/.440 line! But Gomes in RF (a 5)? Jones in LF (a 4)? Barmes at SS (a 3)? And a 4 at C? This cost a very good pitching staff [i:064f38587e]way[/i:064f38587e] too much in runs allowed!!

More TSF rhetoric, but [i:064f38587e]the more teams I see, the more I'm convinced[/i:064f38587e]!

:D
J-Pav

Postby J-Pav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 pm

[b:af4fa9bdea]Dave[/b:af4fa9bdea]:

Thx for posting your teams!

My first point is that I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who couldn't motivate Bartlett! My second point would be that the stadiums matter very little. My third point is that I need to wean you and [b:af4fa9bdea]Riggo[/b:af4fa9bdea] off of Kotteras. That guy is freaking atrocious!!!!

I think your teams highlight [i:af4fa9bdea]TSF[/i:af4fa9bdea] more than they highlight [i:af4fa9bdea]variety[/i:af4fa9bdea] per se. When you say "there is clearly more than one winning strategy" what do you mean?
J-Pav

Postby AeroDave10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I guess where we differ in opinion is that I do think matching batters to a stadium is important. It matters way more in ATG, I think, since the stadiums are more extreme. From that, I mean that winning strategies in 20xx can be devised for just about any stadium, though the most extreme stadiums available are the best bets for success.

Moreover, my philosophy is matching players to their home stadium with good consideration of the other stadiums and pitchers in their division.

I was shocked about Kottaras' performance. How can a guy hit 44 2Bs and score just 31 runs and drive in just 34? :shock: Shouldn't those 2Bs have done a bit more damage??

Another thing that baffled me was Ichiro's refusal to steal on the Bartlett debacle team. I had him set to steal more and the team set to normal or aggressive stealing most nights. In over 670 PAs with a .359 OBP, he only swiped 10 of 14 bases. WTF!!!
AeroDave10

Postby J-Pav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Dave:

Taking the four better teams (not just the Champs) and ignoring the underperformer, you scored on average 745 runs and gave up 633. The TSF Champs averages are 749 and 660. No 900 run offenses here.

Your middle defense is roughly 2-1.5-2 (loved the Brignac experiment!!! but 10 of 12 middle defenders were 1s and 2s) and your pitching salary was 18.5 SP/11 RP for a total of $29.38.

Your parks leaned pitcher friendly.

What variety is highlighted that I'm not seeing? They are all just solid, veteran manager type teams. I think the newbs can learn [i:67427ecf59]a lot[/i:67427ecf59] just by looking at [i:67427ecf59]your[/i:67427ecf59] teams!!
J-Pav

Postby AeroDave10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 pm

I guess I'm looking at more of the subtleties that ended up being different. Exactly the type of pitching rotation, one dominant reliever vs. two, an expensive closer vs. a cheap one, and varying numbers of platoons. Stuff like that. I'm not sure I like the strategy Jerry attempted. Too drastic with too little chance of success. Even if you make the playoffs, those kinds of teams stand almost no chance in the post-season. I'd rather go heavy on pitching and/or defense and win a bunch of 3-1 games. Those teams can win rings.

I have been rather unimpressed with this past year's card set, so I have played less with it than the past few years. I've got no problems putting a 3 or even 4 in the middle, a 4 or 5 in LF/RF, a garbage catcher with a terrible arm behind the dish, or an all-field no-hit middle infielder. I tend to take risks on injury-prone guys more than others, and I've shifted away from the straight 4 man rotation that so many new managers feel compelled to use. I may have been a bit too conservative this year because of the limitations in the cards.

Perhaps I should go out on a limb one more time? How about a Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn corner IF and Ryan Braun and Justin Upton corner OF :lol: Put me in Great American, Yankee, or The Cell and let 'em rip!!
AeroDave10

Postby J-Pav » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 pm

(Last post for me tonite)

I think the idea of "Formula" rubs too many people the wrong way. I do not mean to suggest everyone go out and mimic my Theory in Action team as the "only way." I think variety (to a certain extent) is a good thing! (and as your teams clearly demonstrate)

With regard to ballparks, TSF does embrace the concept under [b:cbdba8489b]Part V. Ballparks and Players Suited to Those Parks[/b:cbdba8489b], so I'm not oblivious to what you're saying. However, in 2009 (and like last year) I see no trend in "winning stadiums". Remember when it was either Shea, the Juice Box or The Cell?? I just don't see it anymore. I think you're probably better off drafting to play in Land Shark.

Now, somewhere out there is Kaufmann Guy (or Fenway Guy). None of this TSF stuff means [i:cbdba8489b]anything[/i:cbdba8489b] to him. And if I were him, I would completely agree. But I'm not looking only at a best way to win somewhere, I'm looking at a best way to win [i:cbdba8489b]anywhere[/i:cbdba8489b]. They are not the same thing. Forced to embrace an "Average Champs Team", I'm stuck defending TSF.

Thx for a great back and forth [b:cbdba8489b]Dave[/b:cbdba8489b]. Apologies to [b:cbdba8489b]Jerry[/b:cbdba8489b] as we went off down our own road there. :oops:
J-Pav

Postby Irahays » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:17 pm

[quote:36046c2b14="J-Pav"]I think the idea of "Formula" rubs too many people the wrong way. I do not mean to suggest everyone go out and mimic my Theory in Action team as the "only way." [/quote:36046c2b14]

I'm not sure why it rubs people the wrong way or why you even have to defend it. To me it's just an objective look on how to build a winning team. You are simply making observations.

If people want to critic your methodology, that's one thing, but to make you defend the build is kind of pointless. You observed it but didn't create it. Well, unless your titles were included in the 20 winning teams. :)
Irahays

Re-posted from Semi finals league email...

Postby RiggoDrill » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Mike, Looks like you put together another great team - it'll be fun to watch how this one plays out.
----------------------------------------------
Jeff, do you really think this looks like a great team? I was 12th in waivers which can be viewed 2 ways...

1) I'm a genius for figuring out how to get all the guys I wanted in the draft
2) I'm an idiot for drafting all the guys nobody else wanted

We'll see which it was.

I missed [b:3abaab2202]David Ortiz [/b:3abaab2202]in the draft who would have been a perfect fit at DH, but I filled in the open slot for a lefty power hitter with [b:3abaab2202]Morneau[/b:3abaab2202]. When I saw so many of the *-rated starters available as FAs, I switched up my pitching at the last minute.

That took some stones to put [b:3abaab2202]Greinke [/b:3abaab2202]AND [b:3abaab2202]Lincecum [/b:3abaab2202]on your draft card. Nice move getting them both. High-powered *-rated starters has been my #1 success formula for 2010, so you should do well.

-Mike
RiggoDrill

Postby J-Pav » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:46 pm

In a tour league with all top managers, even a very good team can be made to look very ordinary! HAL usually sorts these out on His whim.

But a Pedroia - Bartlett - Zimmerman core of 1s protecting an already very strong staff of Johnson, Jimenez, Wandy and Zito (w/ JD Drew and Morneau for LH power) will be tough to beat.

My question is about the relievers...
J-Pav

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx