Question for the veterans

Question for the veterans

Postby Knerrpool » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:25 am

When looking at a players card, what are the things that you look for that really make one card different from another, and how do these things come into play in different ballparks? I know the obvious, like you would want a lot of BP HR's if you're playing in a HR hitters park (that's for a hitters card - opposite for a pitchers card), but what are some of the more subtle things? And I guess this would be for both pitcher and hitter cards. Thanks.
Knerrpool

Postby LMBombers » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 pm

lots of on base (for hitters) near the 7's, defense, speed, SB ability
LMBombers

Postby Badjam » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:13 pm

also look at the bal l or bal r. some low salary guys that are much better on one side of their card are worth considering in a platoon situation.
Badjam

Postby Jerlins » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:06 am

One of the more common mistakes newer players make is the inability to seperate SOM from real life players. For example, Brad Lidge didn't blow a save in 08, so one might assume he's got to be good in the 08 set. WRONG!!!! Disregard the name, look at the card only, and you're well on your way to a successful Strat career.
Jerlins

Postby coyote303 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:18 pm

I make sure I have lineups that can hit both righties and lefties. There are several tactics for achieving this; just don't find yourself vulnerable to one side of the other.

With pitchers I want a mix of balance as well. If I have a 3R right-handed starter, it's nice to have a reverse-righty starter to pitch right behind him so someone can't go crazy stacking their lineup with left-handed hitters.
coyote303

Postby toronto50 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 pm

u will almost always face more righty pitchers than lefties, 60 to 70 % of the time. HIT RIGHTIES well. HIT lefties well with the use of 2 to 4 platoon players which u can find for cheap.
toronto50

Postby toronto50 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:46 pm

u will almost always face more righty pitchers than lefties, 60 to 70 % of the time. HIT RIGHTIES well. HIT lefties well with the use of 2 to 4 platoon players which u can find for cheap.
toronto50

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:03 am

Players with an *Stealing are usually held on base by HAL. That weakens certain infielder defensive ratings, making it a bit easier to get a hit. Stolen bases are often over-rated, but not everyone appreciates the hold.

Positive "clutch" on a hitter's card is always good to have.

gb()A will eat you up if hitting behind your OBP guys.
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby scorehouse » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

understand what the signs on the cards mean in relationship to the various ballparks. #hrs can kill a pitcher and make a hitter much better in a power park. be leery of hitters with lots of $hits in the 6-8 spots. those become outs with runners in scoring position. conversely $outs become hits. some low to medium priced hitters have 3 -5 $outs making them dynamite in 2 out runners in scoring position. those outs become hits and make a 7/8 hole batter come alive. watch out on catchers. the e rating can be misleading if the catcher has a high throwing number + a bad pb rating. if playing in a division with base stealers make sure your pitchers have -hold ratings. at least 3 of the 4/5 starters.
scorehouse

Postby scorehouse » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:46 pm

another huge mistake. if you spend money on pitching, you must and i mean must back him up with great fielding. ss,2b,cf must be 1's. i think catcher also. ofs need good arms and i would not have more than 2's at the other positions. if you get a great hitter who's a 3/4 put him in lf.
scorehouse

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx