How do you build a lineup?

How do you build a lineup?

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:48 pm

What is the best way to build a line up. I know about the high OB etc, best hitter 3rd etc theory mentioned on this forum, but I want to know why it is accepted wisdom? Is there any other way to do it? I ask this as I have read a slightly different way to build a line up and want your opinions on it. Here are 2, 3, and 4 in lineup

2 Lefty, average, good bunter (No mention of DP's)
3 Righty, Homer guy, good onbase.
4 Best Hitter, hopefully a lefty (Conventional wisdom has this for #3)

Which way is better? I always have a #3 hitter being my best overall hitter, but this says he should be 4th.Who is correct and why?
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby geekor » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:31 pm

well a) there is no reason to say you #2 has to be a lefty? What if you lead off with Damon? Obvioulsy some people love to go LRLRLRLR, or RLRLRLR, but that is if everything is perfect. I but the bats where they need to be, and if 2 guys are equal, I will try to get the LRLRLR.

Well the #1 spot needs to have good obp, at least 45 points, hopefully 50. Should have some speed, and preferably a * stealer. Anything else the give you is gravy.

The #2 spot should mimic the #1, except have low Dp's and hopefully a little more power. Bunting, who bunts?? Mora and Drew have been my Fav #2 hitters in the 05 set.

The #3 is of course your best hitter, Bonds, Pujols, whomever is you overall best threat of BA, OBP and power.

You #4 is the mini #3, maybe less OBP at the expense of more BA and SLG.

#5 should have good clutch, good BA to drive in runs, and pop.

After that is just get's weaker and weaker, with your worst hitter batting 8th, and your "leadoff like" guy, with less obp batting 9th.

At least that's how I do it.
geekor

Postby 1crazycanuk » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:49 pm

I have Frank Thomas. Should he leadoff? Highest OBP but slower than I am.
1crazycanuk

Postby Roscodog » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:30 pm

I try to follow convention baseball "wisdom",
1st-high OBP good speed
2nd-Good contact, bunter, alright speed. (fly ball hitter if possible)
3rd-power/average
4th-power
5th-power or just next best hitter
6-8 whatever
9th-worst hitter but hopefully someone with a little speed as to not hold back your leadoff guy.

who know? each to his own. I've also had success with guys like Kendall leading off not much speed but grat hitter.

Back in the day I remembr the RED SOX using Wade Boggs to lead off, he was arguabley the best hitter in baseball, he had no speed but you knew he was going to get onbase 40% of the time and by hitting him first he was going to get more at bats. I guess my point is, that I don't really have one and just felt like babbling about baseball
Roscodog

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 am

Thomas is my kind of #2. Lots of on-base, good power, few dp....
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Surely though Luckyman you want someone a bit quicker than Thomas at #2, or is it simply just a matter of OB and few Dp's? I'm sure I read somewhere that a high % of hits rather than walks is needed at #2.
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby milezd » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:19 pm

my ideal #1-4

damon
loretta/roward
edmonds/ortiz
rolen
milezd

Postby bleacher_creature » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Look at these lineups, which are LAST in my league after 34 games:

vs-R

RF Freel
LF D. Roberts
1B Dunn
DH Ortiz
3B Rolen
C Posada
SS Vizquel
CF Wells
2B W Harris

Wells was hitting about .180 in the 7th hole, hence the drop.

vs-L

LF Freel
RF Cruz, Jr
3B Rolen
CF Wells
1B Dunn
C Posada
2B Gomez
DH Ortiz
SS Vizquel

Ortiz has like 25 OB chances vs L, hence the 8 hole. I previously had him 7th, and could again.

Last in runs scored, and OBP IIRC. Are they just "due", or what? It ssems to me that I'm pretty well suited for SAFECO with Dunn and Ortiz.
bleacher_creature

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx