Strategy in Drafting-Who's the top five for 2005

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:44 pm

I got RJ with the THIRD waiver pick in an auto-league (of course) recently. It fûcked up the rest of my waivers because I assumed one of the first two would snag him.
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby tersignf » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:41 pm

creature...
How does a high strikeout guy apprciably change the impact of fielder stats? There are some subleties that play here, but every pitcher's card has the same number of fielding checks (7 for ss, 6 for 2b, etc). Yes, certain times there are additional checks, such as for catchers, OF arms, etc, but a strikeout pitcher's advantage is not that it masks your fielding, but that it helps prevent gb C and FLY A, etc...known as "productive" outs.
In a 12-team league with all the hitting available, productive outs are less important than say if we were in a 20-team league--but if you're in a picther's park, it could make a difference.

As far as pitcher's parks--yes I agree on picks like Beltre with all those natural HRs and hits. Although he hits into way too many DPs and lacks clutch IMO for a pitcher's park. :wink:
tersignf

Postby bleacher_creature » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:22 pm

Perhaps I am confused on GB/FB ratios and Strat-O-Matic. I do know what you are talking about with the gb2bx, gbssx, etc... chances being consistent on the cards. So, it sounds like a SOM accounts for GB/FB real life sabermetric stats via gbC and fbA?

The moral of the story is that weak defense WILL be exposed, which IS true in "real life" baseball as well.

Bret Boone in his prime really was a "1" at 2B. I saw that dude make some sick plays at SAFECO that no human should have ever made, and that would have made Joe Morgan proud.
bleacher_creature

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx