Strategy in Drafting-Who's the top five for 2005

Postby tersignf » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:46 am

I disagree that if in Petco your first picks should be stud pitchers.
In a pitcher's park, you want to maximize net run differential by taking pitchers who will take advantage of your park, ie Pedro, Greinke, Clement, Pettite, Santana too with his BPHRs, etc.

Then you need to make sure your offense has a bit extra natural hits than you would normally pay attention to, like Casey, Kendall, etc.
Otherwise you'll never score but you'll lead the league in ERA.

I just took a Petco team to the finals with about 26 mil in pitching and one of the league's best ERAs. Granted, it's dynamic because your opponents obviously play a very important role.

Think of it this way--when you head into a Hitter's park for BPHRs, do you seek out hitters with many BPHRs and pitchers with few? Yes.

Similarly, when you head into a pitcher's park for homeruns, you would seek hitters with more natural hits/power (few BPHRs) and pitchers with many. It's just the same strategy transposed by the park you're in.
tersignf

Postby The Turtle » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:53 am

Petco teams accoring to logic placed here by Marcus Wilby the luckyman, should be taking Ichiro and Beltre no.1 and 2 then worry about the pitching
The Turtle

Postby visick » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:05 am

You make some good points tersignf.

You still need a big bat or 2 to get the OB guys in. Guys with natural HR's on their cards.

I used Glaus in Petco and in 279 AB's, he hit 29 HR's and had 79 RBI's.

I kinda like to use 1 or 2 stud SP's in a small park. Then use the money for OB and power. You can always pick up some "Pitcher's Park" SP's later on.
visick

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:06 am

[quote:ee395a514e="Roscodog"]I'm not sure if i'm reading your message correctly, but If someone picks Randy Johnson and doesn't get him, they don't automatically get Santana? If i'm the only guy who took Santana and I take him 25th I'm still going to get him.[/quote:ee395a514e]

That is correct... :wink:
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby Roscodog » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:02 pm

that's what I was trying to explain to CHARLIE
Roscodog

Postby CHARLESBELL » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:17 pm

CHARLIE just got a chance to check back on this thread. :D

You read it right, roscodog, as others have pointed out.
CHARLESBELL

Postby bleacher_creature » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:08 pm

This all makes for some pretty interesting strategy for drafting pitchers specifically. For example, in Petco or SBC (surpressed HRs), do you draft good, but likely more available pitchers fairly high, knowing you have a better shot at getting them. In which case, there is a sense in which someone is being "handed" RJ, Santana etc...

In a pitchers' park, it seems even Pedro would be a great #1 with his high Ks as an example. I DID have him in SBC once, and he performed like a true #1.

So...with this in mind, one might go Abreau 1, Peavy 2 (pitchers park strategy), and get BOTH!
bleacher_creature

Postby PAULMINICUCCI » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:37 pm

that's a good question, which is a strategy I have used. I have been successful in getting Peavy and Zambrano together.

I wanted to re-ask your question about the 2's. I too thought why use up my very top picks (2-4) to draft Izturis or Hudson when I can use them to get a little better SP and one stud with a good defense (Drew or Edmonds) and still get Vizquel and Belliard down 6-10. Isn't there a kind of balancing act that goes on here? Is getting a 1 at ss (with just two available) that much better than getting Peavy and Pedro over someone like Westbrook and Vizquel? that is how many runs are you giving up with 2's at 2nd and ss versus how many runs do you save by getting Peavy with a pretty good card at 4.63 million?
PAULMINICUCCI

Postby goredsox33 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 pm

vtek i may have been in that same league.!!!!!
actually the league is still going on... he ended up going with the 1st waiver pick to someone in my div
goredsox33

Postby bleacher_creature » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 pm

[quote:910ca17b70="goredsox33"]vtek i may have been in that same league.!!!!!
actually the league is still going on... he ended up going with the 1st waiver pick to someone in my div[/quote:910ca17b70]

If you look at the Super Advanced Fielding Chart, I don't see this great panacea that a #1 SS/2B is over a #2. It will make some difference when they are part of holding the runner (SS/1B hold with LH batter), as they downgrade one (i.e. 2 to a 3). Otherwise, I'l take a high K pitcher on a top draft spot, and assume the infield will see that many fewer balls anyway.

That's all just theory though. So far I'm all talk, and no championships.
bleacher_creature

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx