Giving Up The Game - Lack of Interest

Postby korkie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:58 am

LM-

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you meant any disrespect towards mrdata. I agreed 100% with what you said.
korkie

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:50 pm

I couldn't disagree more with LM and several the others - if you've been here a number of years it's only good manners to say goodbye to the acquaintances that you've made. A short explanation as to why you're leaving isn't necessary, but it can clear up any speculations. I value the friendships/acquaintances I've made these past 3 years, and would be wondering what happened if someone I've known just disappeared. If a goodbye message "brings you down," then maybe you've got a bit of the same bug in you.

Just dropping off the face of the earth is part of the problem with the whole online experience. Anonymity can be a good thing, but if you have any regard for those you've been playing with over the years let them know you're leaving and if/when you may be back.
kaviksdad

Postby ROBERTVOZZA » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:30 pm

I believe there are many reasons to choose to stay and play or to leave the game - whether it be for good or a temporary hiatus. All reasons are valid as well.

I agree w/ Kav about the courtesy of saying goodbye to established cyber or REAL friends here - with or without explanation(Which you can easily do in a pT w/out making your personal life public.)

I also feel that honest complaints about problems that anyone has about the quality of SOM is best directed towards the TSN/SOM Brass. It seems to me that they have attempted to adjust to the many requests and demands that their customers have made.

I actually believe the game is beter and with more options than ever before - as well as more options in lots of varying formats.

But there isn't necessarily good reason to bash the game and take the enjoyment out of it for others who really do enjoy the game either.

Everyone has their reasons for playing or not...Mine lie predominantly in the cameraderie of the people whose cyber company I enjoy in this community. Diverse in age, generation, region, political and religious views, tastes in music, movies, sports, women etc...And it is this diversity synthesized with the love of the game of baseball and the great competitive spirit that I have perceived we all share that makes this a very satisfying experience...

There were actually several times that I have considered walking away - Several different reasons as well, not withstanding the fact that this is a huge time consumer and oftentimes keeps me from more REALLIFE pressing issues.

But it has been a great escape from the harsh realities of my own personal life as eell as the World at Large and has occasionally even helped me have a better and more open perspective of things in general.

And altho have really bitched about the NEW BOARDS - I really believe that change is a good thing. Hopefully we will not lose some of the fine people in the community as a result.

So thanks everyone - for your incredible competitiveness, candor and opinions. This is actually a huge portion of my social life - and for 25 bucks for 2 months of fun with like minded souls - A true bargain and moneysaver for me.

My usual 8 Bits. :wink:
ROBERTVOZZA

Postby aabilo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:39 pm

Thanks. All good points. I just wanted to know if anyone else was tired of playing the game. I have been playing non-stop since 2002 (2001 season), and after 4 years, I got tired of playing. Money is not an issue for me, but the thought of spending $200 for 10 teams, seems silly, when I am burnt out from playing.
aabilo

Postby korkie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:11 am

I disagree with you Kaviks, sorry about that. I know you mean well but this wasn't a "goodbye" post, especially if you read mrdata's final sentence. Not that I think there's anything wrong with his post but there has already been a couple like this earlier on. Like I and others have already mentioned the game IS improved since the first year and complaints earlier on were very premature. I just don't think everyone wants to start that all up again as you can see by the posts in response defending the game.
korkie

Postby Jeepdriver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:01 am

FYI: I suck this year, but I'm not going anywhere. Y'all still will have to put up with me. :lol: :x :wink:
Jeepdriver

Postby korkie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:10 am

Our pleasure Jeep! :)

I started off great this year but over the past 4 or 5 weeks my teams have played a collective 40 games under .500......talk about the bottom falling out! :o
korkie

Postby cirills » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:10 am

Glad to hear it Jeeper.

Now pick your stadium in LOTO II for crying out loud!!! :P
cirills

My 2 cents

Postby STEPHENANDERSON 2 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:00 pm

I have never played 2001 or ATG's 1 or 2. I have played the 80's twice, 2002 once, 2003 3 times and now into 2005 for 12. I like to play just to play. I try to win, but have not had a lot of luck. There are definetly some charactors that I have played with, that I love to see their posts. I do like the various themes started here, and have actualy only played auto once or twice. I do not really have any way to compare the various years, but do like playing the various themes.

Since you have had a blast in the past, I wish you the best in the future. MAybe 2006 will be fun for you if you decide to give it a peak.

Doc
8) :lol:
STEPHENANDERSON 2

Postby geekor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:34 pm

a) play theme leagues. They always break up the mundane.

b) play ATG2, seems i play that more and more, so much more styles to try.

c) transfer your credits to me... I'll be glad to use them :lol:
geekor

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx